Before we begin I should clarify that these are not the sort of kebabs you’d have post-night out on a Saturday in town. Believe it or not I’ve actually never had one of these, although I’ve been reliably informed I’m missing out. I think an old boyfriend from school once bought me one (we’re talking a good 11 years ago) but we had an argument and I threw it away in a strop so much to my regret I never got to experience the delights. What a tale of woe.
So onwards and upwards, these kebabs and sweet potato side are perfect for using up random leftovers you have in the fridge. You can chop and change the veg and meat based on what you have, I think mushrooms would work well, or just ditch the meat all together if you’re veggie.
I made these in a mad rush so I wouldn’t miss out on Love Island (who else absolutely loves Chris?) so total time including prep was about 45 mins. In terms of timings think 10 mins prep, sweet potato needs 35 mins, chicken/chorizo needs 20 mins.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 red onion sliced into large pieces
- 1 red pepper sliced into large pieces
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 sweet potato chopped into small pieces
- Handful chorizo (optional if you have it)
- 1 tbsp paprika
- Salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees (slightly lower if you have a fan oven)
- Pop your sweet potato onto a lined baking tray and sprinkle over paprika, salt & pepper and olive oil. Mix well and bake for 30-35 mins
- Meanwhile mix together sweet chilli sauce, tomato puree and soy sauce. Slice your chicken into large chunks and mix well with the sauce
- Now assemble your kebabs! Soak two kebab skewers in water and then slide on your ingredients in whatever order you like. I went for 1 chicken, 2 onion, 1 pepper REPEAT
- Place your kebabs on a lined baking tray and bake for 20 mins. At the same time sprinkle chorizo pieces over your sweet potato
- Take it all out of the oven and enjoy!