The inspo for this one came, as per usual, when I was lying in bed thinking about food. I’ve seen a lot of Pinterest recipes with eggs in the middle of a piece of toast which looked yum but, to me, this seemed like an inordinate and unnecessary amount of effort to go to when certain baked goods, my bae bagels, come with the hole pre-cut – why not let them do the work for you?!
Fast forward a few hours and I was in the kitchen trying it out and spamming all of my friends with pictures of my new discovery. Cooking the eggs in the bagel essentially results in a cross between a fried and poached egg that is very Instagrammable and, most importantly, enormously limits the amount of eggy washing up in your pan. I don’t know what it is about eggs but whenever I cook them, everything else in the vicinity seems to take on a disgusting eggy smell, particularly glasses, so anything that helps me avoid this gets a big thumbs up from me.
I topped mine with my fave mashed avocado but you could have them plain or with beans. I’m working on a version of this with the infamous 2 ingredient bagels so watch this space!
- 2 bagels
- 4 eggs
- 1 cal spray
- Chilli Flakes (optional)
- Topping of your choice (I used 1 avocado)
- Pre-heat your grill to 180 degrees. Cut each bagel in half then cut out a little bit of the middle to make the hole wider and pop in the toaster. Meanwhile pop a few sprays of 1 cal spray into a large frying pan and turn the heat to low.
- Once toasted, add each bagel to the pan with the inside facing up. Gently crack an egg into each bagel hole (don’t worry if it doesn’t perfectly fit, it will still taste great)
- Season each egg with salt & pepper and add chilli flakes if using. Don’t panic if the bagels seem stuck, it’s just the stray egg white and they’ll lift off fine at the end. It actually helps keep the egg inside!
- Fry for 5 mins until the eggs are starting to set then pop under the grill for a few mins until the whites are just set. Keep an eye on them to make sure the yolks don’t over cook.
- Add your toppings if using and enjoy!