I feel like maybe I just haven’t been doing them right as every YouTuber out there seems to think they’re the best thing since sliced bread but I just cannot for the life of me get on board with overnight oats. To me they are just a cold, milky mush that isn’t appealing in the slightest.
However, that failure has luckily something that IS inordinately appealing to me and that fellow breakfast lovers, is baked oats. Kind of a cross between porridge and flapjack they are filling, delicious and (best of all) warm!
One thing to note – I bloody LOVE cinnamon. I mean I really love the stuff and I love a lot of it. If you aren’t such a fan then just half the amount or even omit it all together if you really detest it that much (you’re missing out I promise you)
- 43g rolled oats
- Big handful blueberries
- 1 banana
- Pinch baking powder
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup (I use this low cal one from Clarks)
- 35ml skimmed milk
- 35ml water
- 1 tsp cinammon
- In a bowl mash your banana (leave a few slices for the topping) and add the milk, water and maple syrup. Stir well until combined and relatively smooth
- Add the oats, blueberries, cinnamon and baking powder and mix well
- Pour into a small baking dish and dot a few slices of banana over the top
- Bake for 15-20 mins until the oats are golden brown and the blueberries are oozy
- Serve with a nice big dollop of (0sp!) fat free yoghurt