Continuing my ongoing mission to re-create low point versions of all my faves has led to my favourite one so far – 3sp Carbonara!
I’m so happy about this recipe as I have been missing Carbonara SO much since starting this weight loss journey. Cream/cheese/pasta/bacon – what’s not to love?!
Well, the answer to that question is (sadly) the amount of smart points in a normal serving. Luckily this low point version is here to solve that problem.
Couple of things to note before starting:
- Separating yolks is pretty simple, I just crack the egg slightly and let the white ooze out. Once it is less full I then crack the egg fully and gently tip the yolk from side to side until all the white slips off. Don’t worry if a little bit is left it will still work just fine.
- Courgetti is a perfect 0sp alternative to pasta BUT it contains an extraordinary amount of water (seriously it’s like Mary Poppins handbag, where does it store it all?!) – I fry the courgette separately to try and lose some of that moisture and have at times squeezed it out in kitchen towel too. It’s not the end of the world if it does all get in, you just end up with more sauce, but it’s just something to be aware of.
Let’s get started!
Serves 2 (3sp per serving)
- 1 pack courgetti (or an actual courgette spiralized if you aren’t lazy AF like me)
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 4-5 (or around that) mushrooms roughly chopped
- 2 chicken breasts chopped into small chunks
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 egg yolks
- 20 g grated parmesan
- 2 bacon medallions
- 100g 0% fat crème fraiche
- Chop the chicken and bacon into small chunks, heat a few sprays of 1cal spray in a large frying pan and add the chicken and bacon.
- Gently fry on a low heat until almost cooked (about 5 mins) then add in the onions, mushrooms, garlic, a pinch of salt and a decent amount of black pepper then fry for a further 5 mins
- Whilst they are cooking, make up your carbonara sauce. Whisk the egg yolks together in a bowl then add the crème fraiche, parmesan and a good few twists of black pepper. Whisk until well combined and creamy
- At this point I also pop the courgette on to cook in a separate pan to get all the water out now, rather than having it seep out into the sauce, this only takes 2-3 mins
- Add your courgette to the chicken/bacon mix then add your sauce. Cook for roughly 30 secs max stirring constantly to make sure everything is covered – keep the heat at its lowest to avoid scrambled eggs
- Spoon into bowls and devour!